Wednesday 26 October 2011

The Good (Blackpool) Bad (Southampton) & the Ugly (Brighton)





Three games have gone by since I have properly blogged last and I got to thinking they can be described as the Good, the bad and the dam right ugly games if you will excuse the pun.


Luckily I have been able to watch all three games even though two of them were away.


Let's start with Blackpool for the good.


I can't remember a more pleasing day at the Boleyn back on Saturday 15th October. The sun was shining, the beers were flowing, the crowd had great expectations and the team certainly delivered with a 4-0 trashing of Blackpool. I did an article for the Blackpool Gazette before the game and I must admit even I wasn't that optimistic!


Everyone played their part in the game, we passed the ball around and played attractive football but Baldock and Carew stood out for me as the men of the match.


Below are some of the songs we sung in the Sir Trevor Brooking lower on that afternoon







Next came the Bad (Southampton Away)


I was lucky enough to be invited into a corporate box for the game and stayed overnight in Southampton sampling the south coast hospitality ;-). The Southampton people looked after us in the box and kept us plied with food and drink all night. The West Ham away support was fantastic with 3,500 fans out singing the home fans. It was announced it was the stadium capacity record that night so we sung 'It took us to fill your ground' and 'your only here for the west ham!'. The west ham fans sung their hearts out all night. Despite setting up an ambitious 4-4-2 formation we never looked the better team. Southampton passed the ball around well and we didn't really start playing for the first 35 minutes. We started playing in the last 10 minutes of the first half, which is when we conceded the only goal. We defended well all night and this was a rare lapse in concentration which cost us dearly. I must admit I was drunk by the second half  but I thought we played well in the second half and were unlucky not to get an equaliser. I thought we could have easily got a draw, whether we deserved it was another matter. We hit the post twice and their keeper made some excellent saves worthy of Robert Green.


Fair play to Southampton, as I have said before I don't mind being the second best team in the league as long as we come second and many Southampton fans said the same back to me on that night.


Hard Life in the Southampton Box




Finally there was the Ugly at Brighton.


This was a game I really wanted to go to but season ticket holders needed 6 priority points to get a ticket and my away games (non corporate) are limited these days with a young family. I visited Brighton with the family last weekend and we went past the impressive Amex Community Stadium. Luckily the game was on Sky Sports so we all got to watch it.


What can you say?, it was a horrible watch in horrible wet weather and the one goal came from a mistake from the defender, Dunk and the goal keeper Harper should have done better against his former team mate Nolan.


Big Sam says it was all part of the plan and a great fought victory! Yea right! I think we just got lucky.


However lucky teams win automatic promotion so I won't moan too much and gladly accept the 3 points with a big smile on my face.


I did some Skype video interviews for Sports Tonight LIVE TV during the game and after full time which can be found below. Onwards and upwards to Leicester on Saturday.








We have just published Moore Than Just A Podcast Episode 9 (Diouf Off)  which covers the Southampton and Brighton Games. It can be found at  http://moorethanjustapodcast.podbean.com and on ITunes (Just search for 'Moore Than Just A Podcast')


My Diouf offensive history post can be found here!


http://westhamfootball.blogspot.com/2011/10/controversy-potted-history-of-el-hadji.html

COME ON YOU IRONS!

No comments:

Post a Comment